Small Business Saturday Mobile Marketing Tips
Many businesses are getting prepared for Small Business Saturday, which is on November 29 this year. American Express founded Small Business Saturday to help small businesses get more customers. The idea was to make a day encouraging people to shop at small, local businesses, always coming on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It was started in 2010 and has grown into a powerful movement today. The US Senate has even officially recognized it as a national day.
If you don’t know, it is easier than ever to be a part of the movement this year. Here are some things some easy things to do to join up:
- Visit the official website for a map to see which businesses are participating in your area
- Use social media ( #SmallBusinessSaturday hashtag on Twitter and Facebook) to spread the word that you’re supporting the day.
- Share photos of you next to your business or favorite local business and share it with friends and family.
- Many of our merchants are indeed small and local, so we wanted to help out with their promotions and advertising as much as possible. If you are preparing for the day, here are some helpful tips on how to create the perfect mobile marketing message.
We wish you much success with your promotions and we hope this helps.
6 Steps to creating a successful mobile marketing offer for Small Business Saturday
Set a goal
What is your vision of success? What, specifically would make this offer successful? Think of a certain dollar amount you want to hit. Think of how many people it would take, coming in and purchasing, to get you there. Think what percentage of your existing, loyal customer database along with new customers you can get to sign-up and purchase on this day as well. Once you get these numbers set, they will define the strategy of the offer.
Understand your audience
Research your previous offers. Check the analytics of those offers. Learn from your past successes and failures. You need to understand your customers in order to make an offer that appeals to them.
One way to do so is to think of your very best customer. Then, think of an offer or deal that would specifically appeal to that person.
- What would literally make them say “WOW” or “OMG”?
- What has brought them back in the past?
- What would make them refer your business to their friends or colleagues?
Understand your own perceived value
Understand that your customers have lots of options. What makes them come to your business instead of others? What do you provide that makes their lives better? Write these down and pick the one that makes the most sense for this offer.
Create the offer
Choose the best answers you from the first 3 steps & put them together to answer this question:
Why would someone come into my business on this day?
* Though discounts may work well, think of anything else you may be able to give away such as a free stocking stuffer, dessert, new menu item or a new special offer you have been waiting to offer. Get creative!
Not everyone is lucky enough to be a subscriber of your customer database… yet! Take the time to advertise this awesome new offer you have created and use it to get more sign-ups, making your marketing efforts that much easier and successful in the coming year! Put a sign on your door, at the point of purchase or anywhere where customers can see it.
Once the special day has come and gone, be sure to check your analytics and evaluate your success with this and every campaign/offer you launch. Think about what adjustments you could make so you could bring more people in or adjust the bottom line. Repeat the success and drop the failures and as you progress, the successes will stack up!